Thank you for participating in Family Service’s Adopt-A- Family Program. With your support, we have been able to provide necessities to San Antonio families with extremely limited financial resources for over 25 years and have helped give thousands of families hope for the holidays.
Take for instance, Valencia Carter, a single mother of three. She wanted to give her children a gift for Christmas but could only afford to give one gift. So after speaking to her other older children to ask if they would be fine with only their younger brother receiving a gift. them know that with deep regret she could only afford one present that year. Her eldest children accepted noting that their younger brother still needed something to believe in.
Family Service stepped in and quickly found her a family willing to donate items. The day of pick up soon arrived and among the many wonderful basic need items, was a brand new shiny bicycle. Valencia stood awestruck and in tears. “The only thing my baby wanted was a bike; he could not stop thinking about it and brought it up every chance he got. I could not afford to get him a bicycle at the time so I had no idea how I was going to tell him.”
“I will never forget my son’s face.” Valencia says, “To the people, whoever they are, that got us all of those wonderful things. I do not know if they will ever understand just what they did for my family. We have hope again that somehow everything is going to be ok.”
If you would like to become an Adopt-A-Family Sponsor, register here:
Upcoming Events & Volunteer Opportunities
Helpful Hints for Adopters
- Please plan to provide at least one new gift to each person in the family.
- In addition to the new gifts, gently used items can be given to the family, but please do not wrap them and keep them separate from the new presents.
- Wrap and securely label each individual gift with the family member’s name. Place all of the family’s gifts together in a non-transparent black garbage bag and place a large label with the family name or copy of the application on the outside of the garbage bag. If you have more than one bag, please mark each as “bag 1 0f 3”, “bag 2 of 3”…with the labels. As backup, please write the family name and ID # on masking tape stuck to the bag as well.
- If you have gift receipts or gift cards, please include them in the package.
- Once a family or individual is assigned to you, they are removed from consideration by other adopters. They are counting on your kindness and generosity.
- Please bring the gifts to The Neighborhood Place at 3014 Rivas Street, 78228 (for client safety and confidentiality, we will not be able to offer a home delivery option this year).
- Wednesday, December 5th through Wednesday, December 15th
- Between the hours of 9:00 am and 7:30 pm Monday- Friday
- If you have any problems or are unable to fulfill your obligation, please contact Michael Odum at 210-753-1624.
Boxes of Blessing (3200 E. Houston Street San Antonio, TX 78219)
This year Redeemer Presbyterian is preparing 10,000 food boxes that will be distributed throughout the city! 1,000 of those boxes will go towards providing food for Family Service clients over the winter break.
- Taping Day (Nov 14 from 3pm-6pm) – We need volunteers to help tape and assemble the cardboard boxes that the food items will be placed into. (pizza provided for all volunteers)
- Assembly Day (Dec 2, All Day) – Assembly Day is the day when we fill, pack, and deliver the boxes.
Wrapping with Jack at Six Flags Fiesta Texas (Dec 11 from 6-8 pm)
Join KTSA’s Jack Riccardi and close to 1,000 volunteers to wrap donated gifts. Music provided by the amazing and talented Ken Slavin, food generously donated by Magnolia Pancake Haus and lots of holiday helpers providing hope to families and children in need. We are looking for some holiday elves to assist with passing out and collecting gifts to wrap, welcoming guests, and helping the kids create some holiday themed arts & crafts.
Adopt-A-Family Contact Information Michael Odum Community Development Manager Email:email@example.com Phone: 210.299.3438