To consider assigning the task of drafting a high-level website content policy.
- To provide a cogent and concise website content policy statement; and,
- To ensure accuracy, consistency, integrity, and protection of the identity and image of the agency by providing a set of minimum content standards that all website content owners must follow.
WHO IS GOVERNED BY THIS POLICY
Management, staff, contractors, volunteers
EXAMPLE POLICY STATEMENT
All website content associated with Family Service must comply with the requirements set forth in this policy. This includes digital content that may be hosted externally. In addition to the website, this policy applies to social media content, web feeds, official and personal blogs hosted on the Family Service website.
EXAMPLE OF POLICY REQUIREMENTS
- Legal and regulatory
- Privacy / GDPR
- Logo use and colors
- Header and Footer
- Commercial activities and interests
- Illegal, abusive, offensive content
- Content standards and guidelines
- Policy non-compliance
- Additional information and references
- Related policies
WHO SHOULD WRITE THE POLICY?
This website content policy serves to support the agency’s goal of a unified visual brand identity and user experience across the website, mobile devices, and interactive services.
At the highest level, include:
- Information technology officer with qualitative understanding of online content strategies, for example, content management systems (CMS), online system payment frameworks, and search engine optimization (SEO).
- Family Service officer that has deep knowledge of the agency’s audiences.
- Compliance officer that understands digital regulatory requirements, to include e-Commerce and donor gifting.
This team is small by design. This work is not board level work.
At first glance, you may not know if you have staff with the requisite skills. You do. What they don’t know, they will learn. With the right people and your approval, this task should take approximately 3 weeks or less. This is a high-level document that outlines agency strategy for website content.
Once the policy is drafted, approved and distributed, the hard work can begin with a bigger team to write objectives and details.
This is a recommendation. A strong encouragement.