THE NEIGHBORHOOD PLACE
THE NEIGHBORHOOD PLACE is a community hub that brings services and resources together to empower families on the economically-challenged Westside of San Antonio. This invaluable resource is hosted and operated by Family Service. The Neighborhood Place serves over 70,000 individuals and families annually with services that:
- Provide parenting skills for stronger, healthier relationships with children.
- Decrease family stress and violence while preventing child abuse–97% of parents utilizing Parenting Education classes DO NOT re-enter child protective system.
- Reduce debt, increase savings & improve credit scores with the assists provided at the Financial Empowerment Center.
- Empower youth to find pathways to college & career success with the support of Youth Against Gang Activity (YAGA).
- Youth Against Gang Activity (Y.A.G.A.) – approximately 97% graduate high school.
- Provide emergency clothes, diapers, resources for housing & utilities at Margaret’s Place.
- Community residents learn English & complete GED classes, and participate in Resident Leadership Classes to improve job prospects & earning potential.
- Provide behavioral & mental health counseling.
The Neighborhood Place serves the entire community, and targets three surrounding zip codes, 78228, 78237, 78207, where:
- 29% live below the poverty line.
- $15,597 average per capita income.
- 30% did not complete high school.
- 8% are unemployed compared to 4% citywide.
- 20% of confirmed child abuse victims in Bexar County live in these zip codes.
Neighborhood Place operating hours: 8:00 to 8:30pm Monday through Friday; 8:00 to 5:00 on Saturdays, with programming ending 30 minutes before closing Monday through Saturday so premises can be vacated by closing time.